Monday, December 13, 2010

Femiman

image: Andrej Pejic by Mert&Marcus (Rive Gauche Et Libre-Vogue Paris September 2010)

I must've been under some kind of rock. Until I snapped up the December issue of Oyster, I was oblivious to the facts behind the fashion world's headlines. As I found out, this fiercely gorgeous blonde bombshell pictured in the issue is what it's all about. Only after spotting and questioning the model's name did I eventually realise she's a he. Don't worry, I read and re-read it too. Andrej Pejic, as he quotes, has caused this fascinating unease. Plucked out of the lean, handsome brigade of male models and perched on his throne as a "femiman" beauty, his career has been set to ridiculous heights. Tipping the scales to perfect androgyny, this beautiful boy has captured the interest of fashion's greatest photographers, walked Melbourne's Spring Fashion Week, and graced the Vogues of the world. He's really taken the "work with what you've got" line seriously and doing a damn fine job of it. Wouldn't you say?

3 comments:

  1. I think he is incredible and love that he challenges learned ideas of beauty, femininity and masculinity...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read these words and leaving some of your own behind.x

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails